Website

Visit my portfolio website here.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Artist of the Month- July- Zoe Keating

                               

This month's artist is a musician. I was trying to think of an artist that inspires both Darryll and I, not just in our artwork but also when we're working in the studio. We are always listening to music in the studio and sharing with each other musical artists that we dig.

One day I showed up to work and Darryll had burned two CDs for me. One was Feist's latest album and the other was Zoe Keating, an artist I hadn't heard of before. All he explained to me was that she plays the cello and that it's kind of different but I might like it. Done! I put the CD in my car on the way home and instantly was transported to somewhere new. The sound coming from my speakers was intricate, dramatic, and soothing. I knew right away that this would not be kept in the CD graveyard within my car instead would make it to my laptop's music library to be listened to while I work.

I think what I love most about Zoe's music is that my mind can wander within it. I'm not distracted by words and choruses, but instead lulled into a space where I can create and think alongside her music. I also think that Darryll likes her music for similar reasons but mostly because her music is so layered. She plays with just her cello and laptop, which she uses to record samples as she plays, and layers them on top of each other. If you take a look at Darryll's photography, he is using a similar technique. They both have a sense of controlled chaos in their work, that evolves and expands as you begin to notice the small details that make up the bigger picture.




Give her music a listen and see what you find within it, and within yourself!


-Chelsea

1 comment:

  1. Knowing Schiff's artwork and Zoe's music, this is a very apt blog.
    Both of them are amazing artists.

    ReplyDelete