Website

Visit my portfolio website here.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Confluences



©Darryll Schiff


As an Otium featured artist, I was asked to take part in the Otium Collective exhibition, Confluences held this past September.  This was an exciting showcase full of talented Chicago artists.  Otium, as you may not realize, is a Latin word meaning to withdraw from one’s daily business and affairs to engage in activities considered to be artistically valuable or enlightening.  Given the definition, the Otium Collective was appropriately named as it offers artistic enlightenment through its community of artists and the work we have to offer. 

©Darryll Schiff


            The exhibition was a colorful curation that featured the artwork of notable artists such as Flow, Rita J, Joseph “Sentrock” Perez, Erin Burke, Tara Zanzig, Brett Whitcare and myself – all of which are artists who have a prominent presence in Chicago’s Art scene.  The show consisted of a variety of styles showcased through different mediums, all of which portrayed the unique perspective of the artist.  The works of two photographers (myself being one), multiple pop-art and stencil artists and the artistic renderings of personified creatures filled the gallery space with color and vitality.  Performance artists and live painters conveyed their slice of life as each artist depicted a colorful truth about themselves and the world we live in.    

©Darryll Schiff

            As it so happened, my contribution to the show was a piece from my Descending to Heaven series, which became the centerpiece of the entire show.  Hauntingly gravitating, my piece hung alone on the back of the gallery’s white wall and beckoned viewers to experience it up close, from the moment they could first see it when entering the exhibition.   On opening night I watched as my sole piece captivate the interest of many, curious if they knew I was the artist behind this alluring piece. 

©Darryll Schiff


            It excited me to see how our group of collected artists drew a crowd of art enthusiasts to experience our work, together for the first time all in one place.  What I reflected on that evening was my place as a prominent member of an ever growing, and ever changing art community full of inspiring individuals.

©Darryll Schiff


Of course, I cannot mention the show without giving credit to the talented curator who made it all possible, Ophélie le Troadec.  The intended goal of the Otium Collective is to create a network by artists, for artists and judging by that criteria, our group exhibition was a huge success! Each unique voice that was brought together for the Confluences exhibition played an active part in painting an abstract picture of what it means to be an artist in the city of Chicago.  I hope that in reading this blog post, and viewing some photos from the event, you too will have a better understanding of our artistic intent and need to share in the beauty we dare to express.

©Darryll Schiff

Congratulations to all of the artists on an excellent group exhibition!  We had a wonderful show and I want to thank all of the Chicagoans who came out to see it! For more information on the artists involved see the Featured Artists link on the Otium page http://otiumcollective.com/

©Darryll Schiff

Please stay tuned for a look at my all new series, I will be revealing images soon! - Darryll 




No comments:

Post a Comment