Website

Visit my portfolio website here.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Introducing Lauren to the DSFA Team




            Hello, I’m Lauren, Darryll’s new assistant at Darryll Schiff Fine Art.  I have been working with Darryll as part of the DSFA team since August of this year.  I am a fine art and fiber artist in addition to being a recent graduate of Columbia College Chicago with a bachelors in fine art and a minor in art history, soon to be going for my masters. 

©Darryll Schiff All Rights Reserved

            I was drawn to the position as Darryll’s assistant from the moment I came across his listing on Columbia’s job board.  I clicked on the link to this very website and came across Darryll’s portfolio of work.  Quickly I became captivated by his art.  His style was unlike any fine artist I’d seen before.  The colors and quality of his ephemeral photography left me with a deeper interest and desire to know more about the driving force behind his work.  It wasn’t until later that I read his bio and found out his artistic intent to capture the impermanent yet constant flow of contemporary times. 
©Darryll Schiff All Rights Reserved

There is a soft sadness and yet beauty that comes with being an individual of the human race (especially during this millennium of social media and technology).  In Darryll’s work I see this.  We are all part something bigger and united, yet we don’t always communicate this, which is very much a part of the human condition.  We are a passionate and vivid species and yet we are also an autopilot species, one and the same. Darryll captures individuals in complex moments of thought, enjoyment and reflection as well as completely absent minded, walking briskly through the rat-race portion of their busy days.
©Darryll Schiff All Rights Reserved
 
We are each uniquely alone, even when gathered together.  It’s not a tragic truth, in fact we are all united by it and can relate.  Through Darryll’s poetic photography, viewers can contemplate life’s little mysteries, as the visual experience almost heightens all other sense until the viewer is convinced they can hear, see and smell the scenery and become lost in it.  The sheer size of Darryll’s large works makes this extensively possible.  
©Darryll Schiff All Rights Reserved

At DSFA Studio, I often find myself contemplating a single word to convey the images that are so overwhelmingly vibrant.  Motion, though important to the aesthetic vocabulary of Darryll’s work is not where I landed.  Rather, I came up with “Essence”, the very title of one of Darryll's prominent series of work.  I deemed essence appropriate because it is the intrinsic nature or indispensible quality of all Darryll’s subjects that I respond to in his art.  He has a true talent and a distinctly beautiful vision when capturing the essence of his subjects, whether it’s human, place, nature or thing.  
©Darryll Schiff All Rights Reserved


As a fine artist I find working with Darryll inspiring.  Being his assistant is refreshing.  Working beside Darryll as he creates new bodies of work keeps me motivated to continue with my own art practice where I seemingly “paint” with material. 
©Lauren Ike All Rights Reserved

My process is very different than Darryll’s but holds it’s own calm, meditative effects in the repetitive series of highly physical steps when slashing, tearing, knotting and stabbing in order to create. There is a physical cycle of death and rebirth brought on by my hands, the work is activated by violent acts that have a calming effect as repetition breeds peaceful frustrations.  





©Lauren Ike All Rights Reserved

Above are samples of my work and a link to my site laurenike.com if you care to see more, or you may also like my artist page on facebook where I update my latest works in progress facebook.com/artistlaurenike

I have over 230 fabric pieces that are roughly 5"x5", I did a variable piece that covered a 14'x8' wall with this series of work. The installation is shown below at Chicago's A+D gallery.  Come see this body of work installed at Beverly Arts Center's 38th Annual Arts Competition showing November 7, 2014 - January 4, 2015.

©Lauren Ike All Rights Reserved

©Lauren Ike All Rights Reserved


Darryll’s work is clearly very different from my own but ultimately it relates in the feelings both bodies of work provoke.  I’m of course referring to the energy that is
felt in each vivacious piece.  Each component gives its own impression, frozen only to a point as change hangs in the air. There is always action, reflection and growh that comes with life.  

©Darryll Schiff All Rights Reserved

 I hope you enjoyed my introductory post.  I have high hopes for my future contributions at DSFA. Until next time! - Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment